Social, Emotional & Mental Health ARP
The Social, Emotional and Mental Health Additionally Resourced Provision (SEMH ARP) at Cheviot Primary is a specialised provision for Newcastle learners aged between 5 - 7 in school (predominately KS1) however this can extend into lower Key stage 2. The provision is for children who struggle in managing their own emotions and different behaviours within a mainstream setting and need the benefit of additional support. The ARP facilitates an appropriate school placement for children with the expectation that a child would remain in an ARP for a maximum of two years.
There are six children in the SEMH ARP, with a Teacher and a SEN Teaching Assistant. The provision offers a place where your child can flourish in a small group, with adults who have expertise in emotional, social and mental health difficulties. The provision provides a continuum of provision extending from individual support and small group setting to inclusion in mainstream class.
- A smaller classroom setting enables a higher adult to child ratio and to reduce visual and auditory distractions.
- Clear sanctions and rewards that are followed to offer children structure and routine.
- Visual timetables using Newcastle symbols and supported by the use of Makaton if/when required.
- Children are integrated into mainstream classes where appropriate with initial support to develop social and emotional development in a range of settings.
- IT equipment such as ipads are integrated into lessons where appropriate.
- The environment is set up to ensure children can develop a broad range of exploration skills.
- Staff work with specialists from outside of school to support the children overcome barriers.
- Small group or 1:1 targeted programmes are delivered to children to improve social skills and emotional resilience.
- Outdoor learning is used to offer a different approach to the curriculum.
- A quiet space is provided within the classroom for pupils to use as a safe space to calm down in.
Places are allocated by a formal process ran by Newcastle Local Authority. These are not allocated by the school/SMART Multi Academy Trust.
Who to contact - Mrs. Bowman (SEMH ARP Teacher) or Mrs. Thompson (SENDCo)
Telephone: 0191 2869324
Updated October 2021